Skip to main content

Watching Flying Arrows


It was our first week in UCL, and some of us might still struggle to find our own path. Before going to the right direction, don’t you think it is essential to have a clear aim? Once we know what our absolute goal is, nothing could stop us from going for it. What else can teach us to aim better than archery, right? ;)

I chose to do archery as my first activity because it is a skill that I had always look forward to master in (even though I had this session before in my high school but huh..) Before starting any activity, as usual, safety first. Our instructors, Tania and Jim (starred in the image) gave us a safety guideline before we sit and prepare to explore this enthralling sport. Apart from keeping an eye to a target, it is also vital to be aware of our surroundings, since arrowheads are very sharp and recklessness could lead to serious injuries. Whenever we are in ‘hold’ position’, which means we have drawn the string and we want to let it go, GENTLY bring it down, and never let it snap. Shooting need to be done in an area bounded by the shooting line, which should never be crossed until we are told that it is safe to do so. This also implies that if an arrow accidentally falls from the bow, do not bent and try to pick it. Wait for the instruction of “clear to collect” as the area over the shooting line is extremely insecure.



There are different types of bows, which are long bow (left), flat bow (right) and recurve bow. The main components of a bow consist of a stick and a string. Long bow is an example of a self-bow because it is made of only one material, which is sapwood. A long bow only take a few days to be made because the maker only need to shape the wood into a bow shape. The front part of a long bow is more springy, while the back part of the bow is harder, which is made up from core of trees. The long bow was probably first used by the Scandinavians.

Other than that we were also introduced to composite bows such as flat and recurve bows. They are called composite because they are made of more than one materials. These type of bows also take longer time to be made, ranging from 6 months to one and a half year. A flat bow has a flat surface, compared to long bow which is more cylindrical. The limbs of a flat bow (limbs are area close to the string) were bent, but not the handle of the bow.


Another example of composite bow is the recurve bow (a wooden bow in the middle with a moustache shape in the image above, if that makes any sense to you XD). We were shown a recurve bow made of cattle bone, leather, thread and wood. This bow is relatively smaller than other bows. Among the advantages of using a recurve bow is less energy is required for the archer to shoot due to the bow’s ability to store more energy. We were also told that one of the reasons why composite bows were made is due to the lack of resources of woods in Middle East, where these types of bows were found.

An arrow consist of a tip (also known as head or point), fletching (which is made from feathers), a nock; which is a part at the back of arrow that goes into the string and an arrow sometimes might consist of a barb on part of its shaft close to the arrowhead. An arrow is typically fletched with a 3-fletching, however a 4-fletching arrow is more common for horse riders. This is because less time is needed to figure out which side of the arrow's nock need to be fitted into the string in order to make sure its direction during flight will not be diverted.




Moreover, we were also presented with different types of arrow points , which are Fowling, trilobate, needle Bodkin, normal Bodkin, broadhead and Ambos point. These arrow points are used for different purposes. For example, a Fowling arrowhead has a shape of a crescent, therefore it has two points and the curve part is blunt. This arrowhead is used to cut flight feathers of a bird. A trilobate arrowhead is usually used as an armour piercer due to its ability to pierce in between fibres of cloth with its blades. Needle Bodkin is suitable to be used to pierce into chain mail (image above) that protect an armour’s suit. (I am really sorry for not taking a picture of this wonderful creation of arrowheads)


A hands-on activity that we did was shooting arrows to hit the target, which is a portrait of a Bambi. As we draw our bows' string, we were experiencing a state called ‘stacking’. Stacking is a term used to describe the increase in amount of energy needed to pull the string of the bow. It gets more difficult to pull the string back after a certain point. An archer need to be equipped with an arm guard to protect his or her arm from the string and also a finger tab to protect fingers that are used to pull the string. In the old days, people used a rectangle stone as an arm guard, punched with two holes at each short edges. 

We were also taught on how to collect arrows that fell on the ground, and the ones on target. Once the instruction “clear to collect” has been given in a training, archers will line up and walk in a line from the shooting border towards the target and pick up any arrows that they can see in front of them. After picking up an arrow, the arrowhead must be pointed downwards to reduce the chance of hurting anyone nearby. To pick an arrow that hit the target, we must first make sure that there is nobody else behind us. Then, place our palm on the target around an inch above the arrow and take out the arrow horizontally out of the target, pointing the arrowhead downwards after it has successfully come out of the foam target.



As this is an experimental archaeology course, we did an experiment on the degree of penetration of different types of arrowheads into various types of material, which are rabbit skin, thin leather (peach), thick leather (dark brown) and chain mail.  Scientifically speaking, (this might remind you guys of your lab experiments in high school) the manipulated a.k.a independent variable or IV is types of arrowheads, and the dependent variable or DV is whether the material is pierced or not. We found out that needle Bodkin is the most ‘powerful’ arrow point, because it successfully penetrated all materials (however only half of the arrow point of needle Bodkin went into the thick leather).

At some point, we did face difficulty in searching for the arrows that had missed the target. If these arrows are left behind, it might be discovered by other people who come to West Dean even after many years since most arrowheads are made from metal that do not degrade.

This might sounds so factual, but I found it something intriguing to be learnt. Not only because of the physical and mental health benefits that archery has to offer, but even Rasulullah s.a.w. really encouraged us to learn how to shoot an arrow J

End of PrimTech Day 1 :) 

Adios! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan