Skip to main content

The Power of Hope



Everybody’s got an answer
To a question that they need to know
Still broken over one thing,
I didn’t ask you, “Do you have to go?”
Now I am looking for a reason,
It isn’t easy, but I got to have hope…

(Author’s note: I think I have this kind of tendency of manipulating lyrics from my own perspective in order to fit it in the story of my life. I’m truly sorry songwriters, I don’t mean to misinterpret your beautiful words. It’s so beautiful that I feel like it’s really close to my heart ;) hehehe)

Okay, ramblings aside.

Yes, as the lyric goes, I have been asking myself a question that I thought other people around me weren’t asking themselves anymore (at least, at this moment). Every single day, since the first day of my course, I keep asking myself, am I even doing the right thing? Am I taking the right course? Did I make the right decision? Or, I should have think more about it earlier? Should I actually do something more common instead? Is it really fine not to do engineering or law or you know, all this things that is not rare to be heard of?

Being the only Malaysian doing Archaeology and Anthropology in the university, I cannot help myself from not thinking about it. As time flies, I do sometimes have this thought “Do you have to go??” Or, maybe I should rephrase it as “Do you really have to go? Do I have to let you go?” Every time that thought popped up in my mind, I was actually referring to my course. Someone choose to transfer to Anthropology from Astrophysics recently, and someone else change her course from something related to Science and Technology to Archaeology and Anthropology. How could that have not triggered me to actually think about changing my course as well?? (But, if I am to do that, I don’t know what course to transfer to either!! XD HAHAHAHA)

One Thursday morning; which is exactly a month after I officially started my course, I was sitting in front of my study desk, overthinking. The fact that I need to see my personal tutor, Liz at 11am to discuss and get her feedback on my very first practice essay made it worse. I was so nervous, thinking about if I had not get the question right, if I had not given her a good first impression, if I had not understand what I have been learning for this whole month, and it went to all those thoughts about ‘am I making the right choice’ all over again.

It was a few minutes before I need to go out and make way to the Institute of Archaeology (IoA) to see my tutor. I was listening to this song; ‘I Will Reach You’ by Westlife (which is actually the song of the lyric at the top), while trying to read a few websites for my tutorial later in the afternoon. Nothing definitely went into my mind. I decided to stop playing the song and stop reading, so I turned off my laptop. My tears started to roll down my cheek. I cried, at the same time I didn’t know whom to talk to. So silently, I started to make du’a from the bottom of my heart. I prayed, that everything is going to be alright, that Allah is going to give me a sign that everything is going to be totally fine. I am definitely have not given up my effort on looking for the reasons why I am here.

“It isn’t easy, but I got to have hope…”

*            *            *

Alhamdulillah, I think Allah granted my wish. When my tutor pointed out my grammatical errors, a short sentence that she said caught my attention, “You’re not alone.” I knew what she meant was, I wasn’t the only person who did these mistakes, and some other people did it too. But it just hit me that I am not the only person who is having a tough time in my first month. Everyone is struggling. The beginning is always the hardest, so why bother thinking of giving up?

“Anything is possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” I quote J.K. Rowling.

It wasn’t just those three words that made my day. She then told me, somewhere in the middle of the discussion, “You can never do anything perfect on your own. Nobody can ever do a perfect essay. The best thing to do is, to get better.” I grinned at her. Exactly, the reason I am here is to learn, and get better. I can’t deny that sometimes I do feel like everyone else knows everything. But then, hey, it is never wrong to start as a total beginner, as long as we keep moving ourselves from zero to hero, isn’t it?

I thought Allah only send the vibes of positivity via my tutor, but I was wrong. I went to the library after the discussion since I had half an hour before my Sites and Artefacts tutorial. After I scanned my student card and pushed the steel bar, I heard someone saying, “Melayu?” I looked around. The voice came from the reception. It was a Malaysian lady working in the IoA Library! Since the reception desk is separated from the reading section, we were chatting at the library reception, starting to get to know each other. We were enjoying ourselves too much that I didn’t realise I spent more than 15 minutes talking to her. She told me that she was excited to see a Malaysian student walking in front of the counter a few times before (obviously that is me XD), and finally decided to approach me today (she doesn’t look like a Malaysian that’s why I didn’t know she is a Malaysian XD). She was more surprised to know that I am actually studying archaeology, not a typical course that other Malaysian students would usually take, and she told me, “You can make a new wave for young Malaysians then!” I smiled, at the same time I couldn’t thank Allah enough for always giving me the strength to go through everything that He had put me into.

I am not sure if you; who are reading this, is one of the SPM candidates who’s going to sit for your big big big exam next few days, or a student who just started his or her university life like me, or someone who is still wondering what to do with life hence you read my blog (like me too haha), but regardless of who we are,

No matter what is going to happen, keep on hoping, with praying. Sebab doa itu senjata mukmin.

No matter where you are, be like a river; go with the flow and carry along the hope with you; which is the faith that Allah is going to bring you through it!

No matter what your future holds, hope for the best AND do your best, because we never know what Allah has put in store for us.

No matter what it is, there should always be a room for H.O.P.E. (Hence) Hold On, (so that…) Pain Ends.

May Allah ease everything for us :) 

Best wishes,

A wanderer who is still finding her way on her life path ;) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan