Skip to main content

It's All about D!


“Hamizah, what do you want to talk about actually?”

Talk? What is talking again? Oh yeah, words. Words that come out of your mouth.

Wait, I have to open my mouth? Err no thanks, let me think about it again.


*          *          *

I am not sure if I was the first kid in that kindergarten who did not perform anything (except from standing and staring at the audience from above) on the annual ‘Talent Day’ event. After a few minutes of being on the stage without a single word, a teacher finally called me to come down the stage and brought me to sit with another teacher at a corner; the last row among the audiences. The teacher asked me what I wanted to do, so I told her I was supposed to do some sort of story-telling, (well, that’s the plan I initially had with my parents) yet of course, I was freezing like a bronze statue on stage, holding a microphone but was as motionless and speechless as I can be (I should be grateful I didn’t collapse though hihi).

Around 10 years after that incident happened (actually a lot of similar (and worse) incidents happened in my primary school but it shall not be mentioned here XD), I was studying in a boarding school. Alhamdulillah, to make things short, academic was not a thing I have my worries for at that time (at least, not my own grades huhu).

But, I have no idea when exactly was the time this thought hit me: “Will I survive being an academically-bright student with no soft skills, let alone communication skills, and not much extra co-curricular activities achievement to show?” It didn’t take me long to become aware that the real life out there is not just about pencil and papers. All I can remember is that on that particular day, I have decided: I really need to be able to talk.

*          *          *

I first realised that I actually enjoyed explaining things to people in a Geography class. I can still clearly imagine myself explaining about transportation network in Malaysia. I was 14 when I was doing that presentation in front of the whole class. ‘It wasn’t as bad as I thought’ I told myself. Okay let me get things clear. As an introvert who won’t even talk to people unless they approach me and greet me first, having to be able to present (and enjoy it? hahaha) in front of 20 people was indeed a big personal achievement.

So yeah, I was awakened of the joy of speaking in public just by a class presentation. Moving on to something more exciting, I joined Teens Champion’s Cup, a version of mini ‘World Scholar’s Cup’ organised in my high school by the Debate Club, in the very same year. So the story goes, that was the first time I ever debated in my whole life (in a room with 5 other people who had never debated before too, and Kak Ummi was the one adj-ing eheh).

Wait, are you kidding me? Debate?!

Yes, debate. Not enough surprise? Well, you see….hmmm… She enjoyed it.

Wait whaaaaaat, she did??

My primary school teachers would be in a huge surprise I think, (yet Teacher Maizun was quite happy when she first knew; she must have been like bersyukur gila akhirnya budak ni insaf – God knows how much she wanted me to speak out my mind hahaha). Well, even my mum have doubts when I first told her, I wanted to join debate (it’s okay mum you have always known who I was and who I am so that’s totally understandable XD I’m not offended hahaha).

So what did she do next? (Daring me, wow) She went for a debate audition at the end of the year. Mind you, this happened in the same year too. Wasn’t aware she wasn’t selected (the results wasn’t announced publicly), she shamelessly texted the club advisor on the following year to ask if she can still join the debate club (you better not ask where on earth she got that courage from). All she knew is she wanted to get, if not much, a pinch of confidence in her own self.

After a few meetings and discussions and watching these cool kids debating, finally she was in. But at that time it was already the last few days of the year, so there’s not even one practice that she actually had the chance to join (even the first event I joined was a farewell for the seniors graduating that year hahaha hence frankly, I would say I joined the club in 2014, instead of 2013 huehuehue).

The beginning is always the hardest, huh? Yes, I can’t agree more.

I spent the whole end-of-year break thinking of pulling out (now you know that I’m not that daring XD). The feeling was horrible, I wanted to do it but at the same I was dammmmnnn scared man (what kind of love-hate relationship is this, you haven’t even started anything yet for God's sake Hamizaaahhh)

Can’t exactly remember how it was resolved, but yeah what I know is I would feel ashamed of myself if I was to give up before reaching the finishing line (though technically I have not even passed the starting line lololol) so…I stayed anyway. And of course it wasn’t the only time I feel like quitting. The quote: “If you feel like quitting, think about why you started” was my huge motivator. It impacted me a lot more than I can express how much it really did, and still do :’)). Back then, it got me back on track every single time I felt like giving up on improving myself to be a better speaker. It keeps on telling me: you have your goals. It keeps on pushing me: you have your aims.

‘As long as the confidence is still not in my hand, I’ll endure what it takes.’

Everyone knows that nothing worth having comes easy, so let’s not talk about those conflicts in being fair towards all commitments I used to have back then, day and night practices especially when a competition was coming soon, having to catch up on my studies after leaving my messy desk in the classroom every month etc. Plus, I believe all students face the same challenge, to some extent. I was grateful for the endless help and support that I have from these great debaters. Aqil, Radhi and Firdaus have always been such a great help ever since I first joined World Scholar’s Cup in 2013. Husna, despite the tough love, was my major pushing force to improve (or even to speak up in the first place HAHAHA). All seniors, you guys are always my favourite role models. My beloved juniors are always my best inspiration. Miss Fatihah and Miss Erina? Definitely meeting both of you is one of the best things that had ever happened in my life. My teachers, friends, seniors and juniors…ahhh wait, let me rephrase that. This family that I have since my high school days had taught me a lot, beyond speaking and debating; from coping with demanding duties and responsibilities as a student, to surviving life in general. (I really miss you guys, just so you know XP)

Though I was sometimes being credited as a good Prime Minister, I still consider myself as a novice speaker. I was so thankful and proud of my teammates every time we got to ‘break’ in a competition. After almost 3 years of not evaluating debate motions and convincing adjudicators, my critical thinking skills are definitely in need of some tough polishing session. Obviously there’s no exact time limit to be really good at something; like what Miss Fatihah said, there will always be a room for improvement. And I would never call myself a good debater either. But still, if it’s not for these amazing people and wonderful experiences, I might have not passed any interview, spoke a bit better in English, got a scholarship offer, or even able to make myself some new friends here. If it’s not because of them, I won’t be having this miracle; this pinch of confidence that I have been anxiously looking for.

Jap, don’t get me wrong.

It’s not mainly about DEBATING.

It’s all about DETERMINATION.

If I am to look back at where I was standing 4 years ago, in a room in UT MARA Shah Alam for my first ever official debate competition, I guess now I can say,

“Hold on to your grit and see where it leads you”.

Alhamdulillah ‘ala kulli hal :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan