Skip to main content

The Journey


So cliche yet so true; life is a journey, with one final destination.

This post might be a bit confusing (or even irrelevant at some point huhu)

I was on a tube journey to Blackhorse Road station, located 7 stops away from Warren Street. While heading to that second last station on the northbound Victoria line, I saw less and less people stayed in the train towards the end of my journey.

Like the journey of life; not many people would be able to make it to the final stop. Some people went astray in the middle of the journey. Yet, there are people who were initially lost but was able to find their way although it was so close towards the end of the line. Would it matter at which stop do they come in? No, the only thing that matters is if they got to reach the final destination. I've always told myself not to judge people on who they are now, as you will never know who they are going to be in the future,

plus, I don't even know who and where I am going to be in the future, so who am I to judge in the first place? 

And I don't want myself to be judged, at least, not until I reach the destination I am heading to.

*            *            *


I was on a dry run (or should I say trial run?) to our examination hall with my roommate one morning. We departed from Warren Street station at 8.06 in the morning. We later had to change to the Jubilee line at Green Park station, making our way to the next stop to change to board the DLR at Canning Town station. While on our way to Canning Town, a lot of people came in and went out of the carriage I am in, throughout the whole journey. However, at the Bermondsey station, nobody came in nor went out. I guess it was the case because there is no other tube line connected to Bermondsey, it is solely lying on the Jubilee line on its own. On the other hand, a lot of people got down the tube at Canary Wharf station, which is also connected to the DLR line; making my tube carriage almost half empty.

Different people are on different paths of life. Along that one path that they choose, there are a lot of stops which I would refer to as the different phases of life, accompanied by a huge amount of temptations. A few seconds before the train stop at any station, an announcement will be made:

"Please keep all your personal belongings with you at all times."

Anyone would usually have a clear vision of where they are heading to, nobody would board on a journey without having any idea where they want to go (tube fares are expensive jangan bazir duit please). When that announcement was made at each stop, the word 'belonging' caught my attention.

'If each stop is meant to be temptation at each point of our life, then please keep your belonging with you. At. All. Times.'

Knowing where you belong, knowing where your life principle lies, knowing where is your final destination you're heading to, knowing your life goals; keep those belongings with you at all times. Because that's the only way to keep you on the right track. To be clear of what you want at the end of the day. Nobody went down at Bermondsey (at least from my carriage) because there wasn't any alternatives; there wasn't any other path you can choose to go. No temptations; so everyone managed to stay put. I still remember being tempted to go down at the Canary Wharf station just because a lot of people went out and it is connected to the DLR as well, though I already had a plan of my own journey in mind.

"Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it
Right is right, even if no one is doing it"

A voice is telling me: Hold fast to your stance, if you truly have faith in it, even when you feel like the world is against you. Resisting temptations is never an easy thing, and that is one of my biggest life problems that I have always been dying to deal with (well I can't even cope with my food temptation properly, so what do you expect...)


"If I had to run
If I had to crawl
If I had to swim a hundred rivers
Just to climb a thousand walls
Always know that I would find a way
To get to where You are
There's no place that far..." 


This journey is long; yet sometimes the train still stopped too long in the middle of the way, under the ground, and all I can see is just the dark wall of the tunnel through the window next to me. I can just give up and get off at the next stop, if it's a bit too much for me to take and go for other means of reaching my final destination instead. But I made up my mind; in the state of being well informed that the adventure I was about to embark on is indeed, very, very long, and bumpy. I promise myself I would try to make it to the final stop. Because I am not one of those people who would get off a journey just because they tried but things didn't work out, but I'll try hard to learn how to do it right and work things out, though very slowly, and I hope you would want to be in it with me too. Above all, I can just pray that He will grant me the patience and strength I desperately (and endlessly) need to endure this long journey that He has decided to settle me in, if that is all what it takes to get to a place I have always truly believed in.

I will keep my promise, and you can keep my word.
For sure, we don't know what tomorrow holds,
But we know, who holds tomorrow.




And I hope when the ultimate end of all the tomorrows comes, when we have finally arrived at our final stop, I can once and for all say:

I remember when I first met you
I felt that God answered my call
There was that one place I always thought about
And I just wanted to be there with you
The place that no eye has ever seen
The place that no heart has ever perceived
I had a great feeling inside of me
That one day I’ll be there with you

And now that we’re here feeling so good
About all the things that we went through
Knowing that God is pleased with us too
It’s not a dream, this is so true
Feeling the peace all around
Seeing things we could never imagine
Hearing the sound of rivers flow
And we know we’ll be here forever
The feeling is indescribable
Knowing that this is our reward

Do you remember the hard times we went through?
And those days we used to argue
But there was not one thing that could bring us down
‘Cause we always had in our minds
The place that no eye has ever seen
The place that no heart has ever perceived
The place we’ve been promised to live in forever
And best of all, it’s just me and you

I remember us praying at night
And just dreaming about this together
I’m so blessed to have you in my life
And now we can enjoy these blessings forever
Paradise is where we are now
Paradise, a dream come true
Paradise, O what a feeling!
Paradise, thank You Allah!


But before we reach there, the road ahead is not easy. I know, I know. I'll wait, I'll wait.


[Lyrics quoted from: 'No Place That Far' by Sara Evans (1998) later recorded by Westlife (2000) and 'Paradise' by Maher Zain]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan