Skip to main content

A Journey Back to the Past #3: Welcome to Kazakhstan!

Sunday 19th August 2018, 7.00 am
From not being emotionally prepared to attend a fieldwork for the previous few days, I was surprised for an unexpected flip of mood I got that morning. Over-excited might be the most accurate word to describe it. I was anxious and curious at the same time, for not knowing what to expect for the upcoming 3 weeks.

“Sorang je?”

“Study sana ke?”

Asked a few officers when I passed by the immigration checks in KLIA.

“Ha ah sorang je.” Even though this is my fourth solo flight overseas, but it’s my first solo flight to a non-English speaking country huhu

“Eh bukan study sana, ada fieldwork” I answered frankly and left another curious officer who might have guessed that I am a student as he scanned my bag pack and laptop as well.

Almaty Airport

The 8 hours flight was fine. I actually fell asleep throughout most of the journey. The flight landed around 6.00 pm Kazakhstan time. After I got my check-in luggage, a driver took me to a hotel in the city of Almaty. That was actually my first time seeing a driver on the left side of the car, and of course, driving at the right side of the road hahaha

After having our dinner at a local restaurant (I had a Kazakhs traditional lagman) and drink at another café for supper, I finally fell asleep at almost 2.00 am in the morning (was actually having a long chat with a friend afterwards hoho). Time to get some rest as a long day awaits.

Monday 20th August 2018
It’s time for Almaty’s one-day visit! Almaty used to be the capital city of Kazakhstan before Astana took its place. We spent most of our time in The Central State Museum of Republic Kazakhstan. This museum used to be the national museum of the country, but a new state museum was built in Astana after it had become the new capital city. Being a multi-racial country, archaeology and heritage play significant roles for its nation-building. This museum tells us everything about the history of Kazakhstan from the prehistoric era up until now. The museum has an archaeology section on the first floor, an ethnography and an anthropology section on the second floor, an exhibition floor on the third floor and an exhibition on the culture of people in Kazakhstan and World War II as well as Sovereign Kazakhstan on the top floor. There are also some temporary exhibition that requires you to pay for extra ticket to enter.


Central State Museum of Republic of Kazakhstan

I have always loved visiting museums and it is a 'must-visit' place wherever I go travelling. For me, the most important thing while travelling to new places is to get to know about the place, the people, and their culture. Hence, museum is the best and perfect place to explore about them :)



After having our lunch, Saltanat, a lady from Almaty who is also from UCL took us for a tour around Almaty. We visited a few places in the city so now I shall let the pictures speak for themselves. We visited Almaty Park, a huge park with sprinklers all around. There is a cathedral in the park too but it was under renovation work while we were there.


Trees planted in the park by presidents of countries all over the world (with the cathedral at the back)

A memorial dedicated to soldiers who fought for the country during World War II

Museum of Musical Instruments; I love its exterior architecture but we didn't enter the museum, a friend of ours said it's not recommended as all of the descriptions are in Russian (but do pay a visit if Russian is one of the languages you have learnt!) 

We left the park and started walking around the city. After a while, we started looking for ice cream hence Saltanat led our way to a cafe with delicious gelato! On our way there, we bumped into a few significant buildings.

Opera House

A university in Almaty; used to be a government building (fairly new building, less that 100 years old)

Umami Cafe, located close to the Opera House, where we had our gelatos.

In Almaty, we either traveled on foot or took the Metro that costs only 80 Kazakh Tenge for any one-way trip. Since it is a very hot country, we have always had a big bottle of water with us. After a very long day, it's time for a 10-hour overnight train journey to Shymkent so, see you again Almaty!

Tuesday 21st August 2018
We arrived at Shymkent Train Station at around 9 o’clock in the morning. After having our breakfast in a café in the city, we started heading to our campsite, which took us around 2 hours on the van to get there. Surprisingly, we actually arrived in Shymkent on the day of Eidul Adha itself. I wasn’t aware because it was still 9 Zulhijjah on that day. 

Shymkent is a city located in South Kazakhstan, where majority of the community are Muslims. There are mosques nearby, I can even hear 'azan' from our campsite, which my friend referred to as 'the announcement'. Almost everyone that we met in the town only speak Kazakhs. Very occasional Russian. No English unfortunately. 


While we were in the room, my friend asked me, "What is the day called again?" When she asked, 'the day', she was referring to 'Qurban Night' that my lecturer mentioned when we gathered at the dining table for lunch. In Malaysia we call it 'Hari Raya Haji' or 'Hari Raya Qurban'. I took quite some time to figure out how to explain to her what the celebration is for. I told her it's another Eid that Muslims celebrate every year. I wish I had more time to explain about it; if only I wasn't too upset that I actually missed another Eid of the year for the second time isk isk

Nothing seems more appealing to me than the bed in my room hahaha XD We’re just too exhausted after a very long journey. Time to get a good rest and be prepared for site work!

Wednesday 22nd August 2018
We had a site tour in the morning in Otrar. All my life I had never known how significant this place is, not even after knowing that I am actually coming to this place a few months ago. Apart from being highly recognised as a UNESCO site, it is a city that plays an important role in the world history, be it during the Islamic Age, the Mongols invasion or even the Soviet occupation. Standing on the desert of Otrar full of mounds that are concealing the citadels makes me feel like as if I am standing on a chest full of magnificent historical treasure. I definitely can’t wait to start working on things that is yet to be discovered!

14th century bathhouse

It has the same structure like the Roman bathhouse I visited in Bath! 

Shakhristan Gate (the gate to the town) 

The remains of a 14th century mosque

The remains of a residential complex 

We also visited Aristabab Mausoleum, a mausoleum of a very influential Sufi imam in that region 

Closer view of the mausoleum

The site in Otrar as well as the mausoleum are opened to public so feel free to pay a visit if you're in Shymkent!

Thursday-Saturday, 23rd – 25th August 2018
Excavation starts. We set up the grid for our site and start digging on the same day. Our new routine was to wake up and have breakfast at half past five and leave our campsite at 6, so we usually arrive before the sun rises. It gets really hot as the day passes hence we need to start our day early and go back to our campsite before midday. As the depth of our trench increases, our collection of pots and bones increases day by day too.

Our mode of transport from the campsite to the excavation site. We call it 'the cool bus' hahaha


Sunday 26th August 2018
It's our day-off and our supervisor brought us to visit a nearby city named Turkistan (not to be confused with Turkmenistan, which is a neighbouring country). We visited the remains of Sauran settlement that dated back to the 13th century. Once again, this site is also opened to the public.


The view from inside the settlement towards its entrance (the bridge)

The remains of a madrasah (some parts are reconstructed)

One of the arches in the remains of a mosque (also part of it is reconstructed)

A well on the remains of the mosque

After visiting the archaeological site, we had our lunch in one of the local restaurants in Turkistan.

I had lagman with soup again!

After lunch, we visited the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi, another influential Sufi imam in the region. To be honest, I had never known anything about Sufism until I came to London last year and visited Brunei Gallery in SOAS. They were having a temporary exhibition on Sufism when I went there. Only after the visit to the gallery that I found out Sunni and Syiah weren't the only 'divisions' of Islam, as well as Wahabi and Salafi. I am not the best person to explain this for now, especially without reliable sources, but I'll try to read and explore more about it later, insya Allah. There is a small mosque (or I would prefer to say prayer room) in the mausoleum, and also a few exhibition rooms. If you're planning to bring your non-Muslim friends here, don't forget to tell them to bring some head coverings!



The view of the back part of the mausoleum

The view of the mausoleum's entrance

Other attractions around the mausoleum

You can ride a camel here! (but I'm pretty sure it's not for free)

The entrance to a reconstructed Medieval town next to the mausoleum

Part of the reconstruction of a Medieval town that is still in progress

WEEK 2: 27th August – 2nd September 2018

Sunrise in the desert (view from Kuik-Mardan, our excavation site)

Excavation continues…
Days of digging and recording and finds processing passed by very quickly, without us realising that we're already approaching the month of September.

Sunset on 30th August 2018, view from our campsite

It started to get really windy on Friday 31st August, and the weather had not become any more helpful for the excavation work. We stayed at the campsite for the next couple of days, since we got a warning on heavy sandstorm and it is not possible to work at the site. Therefore, on the third week, we focused on processing and recording the artefacts at our campsite and sometimes do museum work such as translating texts in the Otrar museum into other languages or create objects description in English.

Otrar Museum


Wednesday 5th September 2018
We're finally leaving Shauldir, the town we have been living in for 2 weeks. It's time to return to Almaty but before that, we got a chance to have a one-day visit in Shymkent.

Spent a few hours in South Kazakhstan Regional History and Local Lore Museum

Went to Abdullah Kattani Mosque

A square in front of the mosque (mosque is not seen in the picture, but it is located at further right of this image)

Entrance to the Independence Park

Nice scenery at the park! Love the green views!

Lots of flowers reminding me of spring~ 

Had the chance to watch sunset in Shymkent as we were waiting to perform Maghrib prayers :)

After having some horse meat for dinner, we went to Shymkent Airport and took a one-hour flight to Almaty that departed at midnight (which is much better than the 10-hour train journey T.T)

Thursday 6th September 2018
Another site visit in Almaty on a very hot and sunny day.

Site visit in Almaty, burial mounds (Prehistoric Kurgan) 

Just have to get an ice cream (with salted caramel and cheese flavour) in Umami Cafe again XD after spending a day under the sun hehe

Chicken, lamb and liver sasylik for dinner!

Friday 7th September 2018
Since it's our last day in Kazakhstan, we were given a day off to freely explore Almaty. My friends and I chose to visit the Big Almaty Lake. We went out at 7.30 in the morning, took a bus from our hotel to the President Park and then took a taxi to go up the mountain. The entrance fee to go up and visit the lake is around 450 Kazakh Tenge. The view was splendid! Definitely one of my favourite places on this earth T.T


A panorama shot of the lake

A view of the lake at the side of the dam

The scenery as we hike down the mountain

In love with the blue sky anywhere in Kazakhstan ❤️

We had our lunch nearby the lake before hiking down for 15 kilometers in 3.5 hours T.T 
We took a bus from the foot of the mountain to the President Park and took another bus from the park to a Georgian restaurant to have our dinner with our supervisors and other friends. It was our last dinner together. Then, we all went back to the hotel, started packing our stuffs and get prepared for a long journey on our flights on the next day.

When Gai, my fieldwork supervisor told me that it's going to be a great trip, he's definitely not lying. Instead, that sounds like an understatement; it's more than just great, it was truly incredible! I'm so glad I was able to learn a lot, more than just archaeology or even anthropology. It was a trip about life, nature, friendship, travel, history and maybe a lot more things that I can't recall at the moment. Apart from learning about other places and people, I actually learn more about myself (and also my own religion).

It's quite surprising that this country doesn't get the attention as much as what it actually deserves. Definitely underrated. The only time I saw postcards being sold was in the museum in Almaty, and that's it. Saltanat told us there are postcards being sold at a bookshop in Almaty but we didn't have time to check it out. I got myself some souvenirs in Turkistan, which is way cheaper than the ones in Almaty, for example, I got something costs 300 Kazakh Tenge in Turkistan, but its price in Almaty is Almaty is 800 Tenge and 1500 Tenge at the airport! (and they sold more handcrafts as souvenirs tbh). Anyway, I hope their tourism continues to flourish as time flies.

There are so many things to explore in this world and of course, no amount of time would be enough. So let's keep on travelling, before we run out of time to fill our soul with amazing adventures ;)

Comments

  1. It's great to see you have a great time there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things happened not the way it is planned but it was still an amazing experience!

      Delete
  2. It's always interesting to read about your travel journey :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan