Skip to main content

London: 5 Museums That...

Perhaps, after following me for quite some time on Instagram, some of my friends had 'elected' me as their point of reference or the reception counter for inquiries about museums in London (I am not sure if I should feel honoured about it but anyway I'm writing this piece because I enjoy all my 'museum-hunting' projects hahaha)

As a person who values individual differences, I don't think it's useful to suggest the 'must-go' or 'must-see' London museums when people asked me about it because I believe it all depends on your personal interest at the end of the day. Hence, I am going to write, neither about museums that is worth your time (cause I will argue that all knowledge is worth learning to some extent :P) nor about my top 5 favourite museums. So why are they here? Hmmm... I am afraid you have to read all the way to the end to find out hehe

Warning & Disclaimer : These pictures are of my own collection, all of which were taken in 2016, my apology in advance for my terrible photography skills that doesn't seem to get any better huhu (rip Vivo Y51 :'))

1. Museum of London



I put this museum as the first on the list because it is my favourite museum so far. The reason being for the fact that I got to engage with an artefacts handling session during my visit last two years and ended up having a long chat with the archaeologist who was handling the session XD

I got to learn so much about the history of London itself after my visit to this museum. If you wish to discover more about London in the Roman and Medieval times, as well as the city's revival after the time of the Great Fire, then this should be your first point of visit upon your arrival in London!

Note: After your visit, spend some time visiting the remains of London Wall located just outside the museum, or if you are really into the history London then maybe you can go for an 'aesthetic stroll' along the 'London Wall Walk' hehehe



Oh by the way, there are two Museum of London, one located near London Wall and another one in Docklands. I have never been to the one in Docklands; another place to add into the list in the future I guess?

South Kensington Museums

Living in Malaysia, I have always thought that museums are all about history and politics. But visiting these museums has definitely challenged my perception towards the institution all this while! These museums are called South Kensington Museums as they are all located in South Kensington, particularly on the Exhibition Road. If you stand by one junction of the road, you can literally see all three of them. In alphabetical order:

2. Natural History Museum


Yes, from the way it looks in the picture, in reality it is really huge. I call it a gigantic biology lab :D From wildlife to geology, this museum definitely has a lot of natural world knowledge to offer! 

Note: They also have an ice rink set up outside the museum in winter! A perfect ice skating experience with the iconic museum in the background :O (only if you know how to skate I guess huehue)


3. Science Museum


If I am to grant a title to this museum, I would award it as the most interactive museum among all! It might not look appealing or as fancy as the other two museums from the outside, but trust me, you'll have a lot of fun while you are spending your time inside!

Their permanent exhibitions includes an interactive gallery on climate change, a unique collection on the evolution of clock and watch, as well as an aviation gallery full of hanging aircraft!

I have also got the chance to visit one of their FREE special exhibition, along with the UCL Museum Society members. It was on 'The Last Tsar: Blood and Revolution'. And guess what, the exhibition was about the contribution of advancement in medical and forensic science towards the investigation of the deaths of Nicholas II and his family, which also involves some archaeological method! Definitely enjoyed the exhibition sooo much, the displays and text panels are excellent!....and went back feeling terribly sad to know about the history of the last Tsar's family :'(

4. Victoria & Albert Museum


Are you an art enthusiast? If you are, I believe this must be one of the items in your bucket list! This museum is known as the V&A Museum among Londoners. To be completely honest, I am not a good person to talk about arts. The only thing I have enjoyed from my first visit to the museum is the John Madejski Garden, one of the most aesthetically pleasing places I have ever seen!


Somehow, I joined a free tour at the museum in last February. It was a gallery lecture given by Daniel Snowman on 'Verdi and Victoria: National Icons'. I remember some parts of the talk was about what Queen Victoria and Giuseppe Fortunino Francesco Verdi, an Italian opera composer have in common, but the rest of the talk was more about their life accounts which I can barely recall now, yet I did find it very 'historically' insightful (I love listening to story-telling so I really enjoy free tours hahaha)

5. British Museum


Alright, from South Kensington, let us now move to the area of Bloomsbury, where one of the largest museums in the world is located. It attracts over 5 million visitors in the span of a year hence I didn't even get the chance to take a picture of the museum without having anyone passing by -_- 

Note: Like most people might do, I would refer this museum as a 'universal museum' too due to the fact that its collections comprise artefacts from all around the world. As an archaeologist, I am not really happy to make it as one of the museum of my favourites, despite the vast range of collections it possess and the amount of knowledge it has to offer, mainly because of the international controversy* over the ownership of the objects in the exhibitions.

*the criticism revolves around the question whether museums should be allowed to possess artifacts taken from other countries. What do you guys think?


Well, I will leave that question for you as your 'thought of the day', as it seems like I shall stop right here for now hehe

Oh waiiiiiitttttt I forgot to tell you that all the museums above have no admission fee! It's free for the public, with the exception of some of their temporary or special exhibitions. Anyway, the reason I am sharing with you about these five museums is merely because they are the museums that I visited when I first came to London last two years (there are supposed to be 6 altogether, anyone wants to guess what is the 6th one? I purposely leave out the FIRST museum I visited on my FIRST day arriving in the city!) so as a visitor back then, I definitely got these suggestions from Google, hence that simply suggests that these are (kind of) the top rated/visited museums in London XD so to challenge that idea I will be sharing about more places (the next one would be on the less-known museums) that I have visited in London so stay tuned!

and thanks for reading ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan