Skip to main content

Incomprehensible



"The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable...

... You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. That's the burden."

October had passed without an entry published; my mind has been all over the places for the past weeks. In spite of the hassles and inconveniences, I have been watching Bones, an American crime TV series that I have always enjoyed merely due to the fact that the main character is a forensic anthropologist. I actually thought that if I am ever going to share anything from the series it would be something more forensic or anthropologically related, yet here I am, quoting an excerpt from the deleted section of Brennan's novel (above) - nothing akin to forensic nor anthropology.

I just find it very complicated to discern how over time, I have transitioned from one extreme side of the scale to the opposite end: from someone who never seemed to care at all to someone who cares a little too much. My care-less-ness had of course got me into a lot of troubles in the past, and rationally, I felt that to care is the only other path that I have no excuse of not taking.

I find it incomprehensible, until Booth said that, "What life throws us, that's what makes us who we are." Maybe that explains the change I went through.

From somebody who kept on questioning condescendingly why people feel and act in certain ways merely on the basis of their emotions - because I have always believed that emotions are somehow a disruption to efficiency of your productivity, and to some extent I still do - I was slowly becoming someone who's quite sensitive; who got touched and bursts tears very easily. I used to be that stone-hearted girl, but for the past years, it's all different.

I became someone who cried when her parents were hurt by the way she behaved, despite the straight face she put in front of them,
Someone who cried when somebody else she was really close to failed their exams, despite her having passed with flying colours,
Someone who cried when she lost somebody she used to call a close friend, 
Someone who cried when her friends' beloved ones passed away and left them with an unendurable grief,
Someone who cried when somebody else lost their trust in her, because of something they thought she did.

The truth is, I guess, no matter how much we do not want to care, the effects that others' lives have on us are inevitable.

Our whole life, we have been surrounded by people. The undeniable fact that we have to face is that when people come together in life, they create memories. We bond through those memories and sometimes, they are not meant to be forgotten. However, life changes over time, but memories don't. We might not be able to see things the same way again in the future, but there is no way to avoid that. Because there is no way memories can not be created while we are experiencing life moments.

So (unfortunately?), we just have to acquiesce that when we open a space in our heart for other people, we are unconsciously letting ourselves to lose a bit of control over our own personal happiness.

And the more people we are giving that space for, the more people we care about, we do not only become more vulnerable or susceptible to lose that control, but we are actually gradually losing the entire power. 

On undesirable occasions where...you are no longer able to keep someone in your lives, sometimes it takes you so long to accept the fact that you can no longer care too much. It's the consequences of the risk you weren't aware you had taken. The risk that when you start to give out that space, there is a possibility that someone, either you or the others, can get heartbroken, therefore suffering is inevitable. Most of the time, it's the memories that you have created before that makes you suffer. No matter how hard you try, you can never push them away from your life, you can never wipe them out from your past.

And in that case, if you're determine on moving on, you should not feel tremendously dejected.

"Good people, they leave marks on each other." And if fate decided that they are no longer meant to be on the same path, "the least we could do is let them fade away naturally, not scrape them off or paint over them with new marks." 

One thing I now know for sure, we can never live without nobody else by our side. Believe it or not, the reason we have made it this far, most of the time, is a credit to the people who have been around since day one. For those who were there, but no longer stay, let them fade, and never try to put in the worthless effort of scraping them off. For those who are still here, hold them tight. You never know how much time you have left, how much longer they are going to stay. But I believe, He will always send somebody to be by your side whenever you have to face the fact that some people just had to leave and not to be part of your life story anymore, and will never come back for another new chapter.

Because He knows, we are just human. And it's just a perfectly normal human nature to be needed, loved and appreciated.

And you know, if back then, the thought of losing control over my own happiness is unbearable, now, it's the thought of losing people who had caused me to lose that control is even more unimaginable.

But despite the pain, the burden, the agony, I'm just holding on to the faith that, if love - for a family, a relative, a friend, a neighbour, a stranger, a partner - is a gift from God, then I believe, it's definitely something worth having :)


"The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable....
...You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, 
that's the sad truth. That's the burden...
... Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs,
but they are a burden that lifts us...

They are a burden, that allows us 

to fly."



Comments

  1. So we need to become that person who care too much abt others? In order to fly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe anything that is 'too much' is bad XD
      But one thing that has been one of my life principles since high school:

      "If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."

      :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan