Skip to main content

A Journey Back to the Past #5: The Other Side of Archaeology

When people found out that I study archaeology, it is common for them to ask, "Archaeology? What do you learn? What are the exciting things about your course?" or "What are some of the things that you like about your degree?", but I have rarely been asked about 'the other side' of this field (don't worry, I hope it isn't as bad as you thought it would be). Yes, archaeology sounds very adventurous and exciting, but obviously, everything in life comes with a set of challenges - it's a life package that archaeology doesn't seem to have an exception on (and I can say these things now since I'm finally done with three years of undergraduate studies phew) 


Disclaimer: The following points are extracted from my personal experience of being in the field for the past three years. I am no expert in this field, and I am merely reflecting on my time as an amateur. I guess it's also safe to say that, this post is probably gonna be more about me rather than archaeology lol




1. Archaeology is about fieldwork and travel

Correction: constant travel. If you have been reading my posts with the 'archaeology' labels, then you'd know how much travelling I had undertaken as an archaeology student. UCL undergraduates are required to complete 70 days of fieldwork in the span of three years, Oxford and Cambridge students a minimum of four weeks, and USM students two weeks. According to a friend of mine, Durham has also started incorporating similar fieldwork/placement components into their undergraduate courses (unfortunately just after he had left the university). Since fieldwork is an important element of archaeology, I have a feeling that universities all around the world that offer archaeology courses would provide the opportunity or at least encourage their students to undertake such excursions. Speaking on behalf of UCL students, we've also been going on day trips to museums and heritage/archaeological sites for tutorials and other learning purposes.

If you think that this travelling routine only applies when one is reading archaeology as an undergraduate, then I have to break it to you that you got it wrong - unless you've managed to find yourself a desk in the museum office or the (cultural/heritage) management sector. While I was in USM for my internship in 2018, I had to move around for 4 times. I spent the first few days in Tanjung Bungah, Penang for a conference, spent another few nights in Perak for a site visit, back in USM for labwork, spent a week in Sungai Batu, Kedah for fieldwork, and back in USM again to resume my lab analysis. My second time interning in USM in 2019 was not much of a difference. I spent the first two weeks in USM to conduct a skeletal analysis, spent a fortnight in Baling, Kedah for fieldwork and a weekend in Sungai Batu for a seminar (another conference) and a festival, and went for a weekend trip to KL to conduct an analysis in Jabatan Warisan Negara before I found myself back in the lab for another week to learn about petrography and complete my internship report.

Travelling can be exhausting - the planning part is not only time-consuming; it can also be draining. But since I'm that wanderer who can barely stay put for a few days, I have been enjoying this challenging part of the field despite its demanding 'mobile' commitment. So, if you're ever considering archaeologists as a career, I hope you're not a naturally stay-at-home person 😅


2. Archaeology is 'messy' (and dirty?) 

Okay, when I went abroad for a dig I've been telling people about the places I've visited during my day off. They are amazing and stunning indeed. But I have never really talked about the kind of things we had to trade for the experience, right? 

While I was in West Dean, Sussex for my very first excavation, I had to sleep in a tent for two weeks on a slope. God knows how cold it was at night and the struggle I had to go through to wake up and take wudhu and solat Subuh at 3 in the morning (and sahur, for God's sake). We had a toilet at the camping site but there was no place to shower at the site - we had to walk a few kilometres to a shower place in the village (which looked abandoned to me). As for my group, we went to shower once every other day, but we had also taken a shower once in three days. Yes, archaeologists' life (on-site) isn't fancy. It's nothing weird about having my hair damaged every time I came back from fieldwork since we only wash for the sake of hygiene and sometimes we have to be wary on the communal water usage, there's no way we could have taken the time to clean our hair like they do in shampoo ads.

In Kazakhstan, we had a bathroom and toilets in our accommodation (alhamdulillah 😭) but there wasn't any proper toilet at the excavation site because we were literally in the middle of a dessert... I held my pee or stomach ache every time we were on site (6 hours every day for two weeks) but some of my friends just looked for a place with a ground/hill higher than our trench and went behind it to 'do their business'. 

Cyprus was fine since I was there for lab work and not digging on a site. But Georgia was a whole different experience... Our excavation site was located close to an unopened museum so we had toilets for 'emergency business' (though there were days when the flush was not working hmmm). Unfortunately, the toilet in our accommodation... well it isn't really a toilet. It's basically a small 4x3 ft 'room' (outside the house, like the ones they have in kampung-kampung in Malaysia) with a cement-covered floor with a hole in the middle. Yes, no toilet bowl. There's just a hole that has been dug a few metres deep. (It looks exactly like a toilet yang belum siap if you guys have ever been to houses under construction).

Oh, that said, like any European toilets, there wasn't any tap or hose or anything that indicates a source of water. And it didn't help that I had a really bad diarrhoea (siap muntah semua) a few days before I flew back to London. 

Erm, I am sorry if this sounds gross. Should've warned you guys beforehand. But anyway, these 'sacrifices' had taught me to be resilient, and they have always reminded me to be grateful for having a comfortable place to stay, to pray and most importantly, buang air 😭 whenever I go travelling or when I'm back home. 


3. Archaeology is about reading, reading, reading... and writing.

Even though some parts of the course are hands-on or practical, this field requires you to undertake a great deal of reading and writing because, in reality, that's what archaeologists spend more time on: doing analysis or writing publications (reports, journal articles, blogs, some even write books and novels). It goes without saying that you're expected to have a good command of language to survive in this field.

If you have four modules in a term and each module requires you to read around two (20 to 40-page) research articles (or any publications) on average in a week, then do the math on how many pages of articles you would have to finish over a weekend (if your weekday is full). But fret not, time management will help you through it. Hopefully, over the years you'll improve your speed reading and note-taking skill eheh

On that note, reading and writing are amongst the essential components of the course as archaeology is all about evaluating theory and practice - which is also the case for a lot of social sciences subjects. Critical thinking is definitely an important element of this course - and reading and writing are good in helping with that. If you are aware of the reasons why something is deemed right, you also need to make yourself familiar with the reasons why it can (or cannot) be wrong. One thing I've learnt from my degree at UCL is that the lecturers are less interested in what has been said or claimed by other people. It is important to understand theories and issues in the field, but it is equally important for you to reflect on what you yourself have learnt from your own work. I have been asked to include my reflection on my tasks or assignments on several occasions; while I was documenting the process of re-creating a rattan mat, while I wrote a summary of my first fieldwork experience in Sussex and my reflective essay on the field school I went for in Cyprus. Again, it's about you and your thoughts, not the prominent archaeologists whose writings have been read by the lecturers for God knows how many times. 


4. Archaeologists are not only scientists but also investigators

In fact, we are detectives of the past. And part of that detective work is to be consistently inquisitive and ask a lot of questions, especially the simple ones as those are the ones that have often been overlooked. 

And yes, as archaeologists, we experiment with things all the time. We - UCL students - even had to go for a compulsory experimental archaeology course in the first week of our undergraduate degree! Speaking of experiments, which is linked to practice, things don't always go by the book in real life and when this happens it definitely calls for proactive decision making (as archaeological finds can be very vulnerable) hence the reason why critical thinking is indispensable.

I have always believed that theory and practice should go hand in hand. I'd say it's not an easy task to have a balance in both, and it's even harder to look for the connection between the two. If you stay long enough in this field, I think you'll eventually find out that Matthew Johnson is right - "common sense is not enough".

As detectives, what would you do once you have gathered evidence? You present them. And that's what archaeologists are supposed to do as well. Archaeology is about delivering and communicating your research to the public. Archaeology is not a property of the scientists or researchers. Instead, it belongs to the local community, therefore, it is essential to ensure that archaeological findings are safely in the knowledge and the apprehension of the public. Throughout the years, you'll be trained on how to engage your research with the public and I can't emphasise enough how critical it is to encourage public involvement in your project/research.

5. Archaeology requires precision and attention to detail

As archaeologists, it is very crucial that you study or examine everything carefully. That said, it really helps if you're an observant and attentive person. When I was doing an object analysis for a material culture module, my marker/assessor really appreciate the observations I have made on very minute detail like additional lines on a pattern, small breaks, and wears on the artefact, etc. In a conservation module, I have had to pay good attention to what each component of a spy radio set was made of, as different raw materials require different conservation and preservation treatment. Artefacts are not the only thing that demands a high level of attention, archaeological sites are also in need of excellent surveillance to ensure excellent management. 
Evidence doesn't lie. History may be accurate, but archaeology is precise. - Doug Scott

Why is it important to be observant? 
Archaeological finds are not always easy to spot - potsherds and bones that have been buried for decades or centuries in the ground wouldn't seem very distinctive or distinguishable from the soil they were buried in. If you miss a find while digging, chances are the 'supposed-to-be artefact' will never find its way to the conservation lab, let alone to the exhibition cases in the museum. Instead, it will experience a twist of fate and end up in the spoil heap. 

Oh, don't worry too much about missing a small piece of potsherd during your first dig. You'll get there through focus and practice. As we have always been told, practice makes perfect. 

-

All in all, archaeology is ALWAYS about teamwork since archaeology can never be a one-man-show and will always be in need of a crew. The image I put on the very top of this post serves as a prove - you can't be the person holding the measuring tape and take coordinates of the features in the trench and draw the site plan at the same time. You can't be the person holding the pole and also the person who take the reading of the slope's height while doing contour mapping. It's always a team effort 💪 I would say archaeology is always about making friends but since we are a small and close-knit institution all over the world, archaeology is also about making new families 💓 I find it hard to part with anyone I have met or known from fieldwork or field school as we have been striving for a common goal, share meaningful moments together and most importantly, they have always been very supportive of each other. 

So, 'the other side' of archaeology isn't at all that scary, right? After all, the lessons gained in classes or outdoors are all that matters. Also, regardless of what you'll be experiencing or what is going to take place at the end of your archaeology degree/career, you'll be proud of yourself,

because all research in archaeology is groundbreaking 🌚








p/s: the pun isn't mine, just saying :P 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan