Skip to main content

The Art of Embracing Failures

I don't think it's too much to say that failures are underrated. 

Did you know that a professor at MIT offered a course on failure - because she claimed that, "failure is a more common experience than success"? And while that is true, in my opinion, more often than not failures render more meaningful lessons than what success can offer.


p/s: I am certainly more than aware that I may not be the best person to talk about failures as a life lesson, especially as I'm barely reaching halfway through my life journey - if I'm ever going to live to the age of Prophet Muhammad at the time of his death - but since this post is nothing less than a reminder for myself, I decided to put this post up anyway, after contemplating it for months 😅





In the span of exactly a month - from April 15th to May 15th - I had received the responses to four applications that I have sent in February and March (while I was still in London).

The first one was an exception because I went for an interview in March for a graduate trainee programme that I didn't apply for, but I gave it my best shot anyway. A month later I was informed that I was unsuccessfully selected for the programme. I wasn't really feeling upset about it; they probably knew that my heart is still set for archaeology despite my interest in content creation and digital marketing. Nonetheless, as it was my first job interview, the chance to indulge in the interview experience itself was a pleasure.

In February, I sent an application for a travel writing scholarship for fun. There were probably thousands of applications, and while I was satisfied with the short story that I submitted, I couldn't see how mine was anything splendid or any better than the others. I found out at the end of April that my submission didn't make it to the top 3; neither it was chosen to be among the 22 shortlisted applicants. I wasn't frustrated since I had always known that narrative writing isn't really my thing 😂. Well, I take it as a sign that I really need to work on it if I am to get serious with travel writing. Needless to say, I enjoyed writing and reminiscing my travel experience for that scholarship application.

In March, I had applied for a scholarship offered by JPA for my postgraduate studies -  which I wasn't actually eligible to apply in the first place. The application required that I have an unconditional offer, whereas I hadn't even secured an offer - let alone an unconditional one - before the application deadline. They also demanded that I submit my extra-curricular certificates, but unfortunately there were some technical issues with our HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report) at that time. And... I didn't submit a research proposal because my mind was preoccupied with my undergraduate thesis when I was completing the scholarship application (and I didn't see why that should be an urgent thing since I will be enrolling for a taught degree (MSc), not a research one (MRes)). Simply put, with the missing documents, my application was incomplete (lol) so it was quite predictable that the application might not be fruitful despite the fact that I had also shamelessly written them a formal letter explaining the reasons I couldn't have attached the offer, the certificates and the proposal along with the application. Wait, I do feel quite embarrassed now - it sounds like I was putting together 'a letter of excuses' 😂 Oh well, it's all in the past now. I had no regrets nor I felt upset when I saw that the application has been unsuccessful; instead, I felt glad that I tried.

After I was informed by my Institute that I had successfully been awarded a conditional offer to pursue a Master's degree, I instantaneously applied for the Institute's Master Award, which is worth 4% of the tuition fee for my degree. I was among the 30+ candidates who were considered for the award, but while I made it to the top 50% of the applicants, they explained to me that my existing academic performance was not able to make me among one of the 10 recipients who were awarded the funding. I am glad that I emailed the Admission Tutor for feedback - the phrase 'top 50% of the applicants' made my day; and made me question no further as I am no doubt very well aware of my own academic achievement for the past couple of years *insert dark moon emoji*

-

Interestingly, when I got the email from the Graduate Admission on my Master Award application, I wasn't sure of what to feel. I was not that sad and I was not that happy either. I am not sure if I was already numb of failures/rejections since that's the 4th time I've received such news in the span of a month, but I can still remember one thing in particular. When I finished reading the email, I spontaneously said, alhamdulillah 'ala kulli hal. I then thought to myself, He is either protecting me from something bad, or He's replacing it with something better. The next day I read an unopened email from the Graduate Admission on a new funding opportunity offered by my Institute to international students who wish to pursue selected Master's degrees with the Institute, which is worth 100% of the tuition fee for my course. To be fair, I could've just given up and not bothered with writing a new supporting statement for another scholarship application. But hey, if you need to listen to this today, I'm reminding you: never become discouraged! 

Who else can be a better person to be looked up to than this tireless and tenacious inventor when it comes to lessons on failures? Thoman Edison, our father of tenacity had once said;
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
I had tears in my eyes by the time I finished reading the email - though it's merely informing me of a scholarship opportunity,  and not congratulating me for getting the scholarship 😂 I can't help feeling touched and grateful. 'Hope is here!' I whispered joyfully. For me, there's nothing more important than to be continuously hopeful about things in life, and the email was definitely just what I needed at that time :)

-

Failing can be (mentally) exhausting, especially when you have to cope with the demands of the emotional breakdown you face afterwards. But thankfully, I didn't have to deal with that this time. What I have learnt and am still learning from these occasions is that you have to embrace the process of getting somewhere if you are to embrace failures. Whenever I look back and think of the unsuccessful applications, I don't feel sad at all (alhamdulillah 😂 I've had so many other things to deal with at that time anyway haha). In fact, I can still vividly remember feeling accomplished whenever I submitted an application; whatever it is for. I know that I have done my best. Going through the journey of sending out the applications feels like an achievement in itself, for me.

And now that I am quite done with waiting for the pending results of my scholarship applications, I am glad that I am learning things! Though unlike Edison, I didn't figure out 1000 reasons why a bulb doesn't light up, now I found out how not to be let down by failures! By enjoying the process and never giving up. If you're en route towards achieving something, don't lead your mind to believe that if this fails, if things don't work out the way you wanted it to be, never, for once, think that your time and effort will ever go to waste. Also, never let stressful times and demanding tasks to consume the energy out of you. Whenever you feel drained and exhausted, think of the reason why you set forth or settle for it in the first place. Review and remind yourself of your goal and intention, and insya Allah may every inch of your effort and struggle be rewarded. 

Edison once said this too,
Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up.
I feel so proud that I took the courage and initiative, and made time and effort in sending the applications eheh. I feel like I've created new rooms for improvement. Come dear, you're now stronger thanks to the things that didn't manage to kill you - you definitely deserve some pats on your back.




p/s: No, I didn't manage to secure that new funding too, if you're wondering. Six weeks passed, and I was brought to the news that my application has been unsuccessful (again). This month alone, I have received another four rejections to my scholarship applications. Oh well, they say nothing worth having comes easy, don't they? 😊


Anyway, if anyone happens to read this until the end, I would really appreciate it if you can save some prayers for me, whatever life has in store for me for my next chapter. I guess it's a real goodbye to UCL for now hehe

And as for us, may we all continue to grow out of this challenging time :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan