Skip to main content

21.12.21 (From the Archive)

Very much overdue that I actually thought I would never end up publishing this anyway, but why not? There's probably gonna be a time where I'd want to go back and look at this again in the future anyway


-

Dear 2021,

It has been an absolute adventure to have met you, experienced things with you, and learnt so much along your side. Now that you are leaving, it just feels that I am doing injustice to not bid you proper goodbye. 

In all honesty, it does really feel like it was only yesterday I stepped into a Popular bookstore in town, bought a notebook for my 2021 journal and wrote down my 2021's 'New Year Resolutions' in one of the first few pages. Now that I am looking at it, I have to say, I wasn't being ambitious enough on the day I had came up with these resolutions. In fact, I had only written a list of three things I want to achieve in 2021 in particular! Let me just try to backtrack where was I - mentally and physically - when I had written these down. Oh! How could I forget about that, considering Raee - my manager in TFM, who's now one of my good friends! - had very recently brought this up - "(just remembering) this time last year (we) were still figuring next steps of our lives together, now look at where we are hoho"

Exactly - this time in 2020 I had no idea where I'd be in a year, so the non-exhaustive list of NY resolutions make so much sense, considering how much of a struggle it was for me to get through life, when all I wanted to think of was just ways to survive another day. But hey 2021, I made it! Are you proud of me? I bet you would. You were tough to handle I have to admit! But as they say, I'm tougher than all the things I think are going to bring me down hehe

But 2021, you are special for some reasons. You have witnessed some of the best days of my life, and you have also witnessed some of the worst ones. You are full of uncertainties, ambiguities, curveballs, detours, surprises, laughters and tears. There isn't a year that I can compare to you, not even 2020. And for that, I think I will forever have a hate-love relationship with you - sorry but not so sorry haha

That said, I will never be able to say I wish I wouldn't have met you. Despite the nature of your uncertainty, quarantine-themed year, there's just too much for me to lose without you; my life-changing internship experience, amazing volunteering opportunities (that has even led me to an unexpected freelance career!), vibrant adventures and catch-ups I have had with my friends while hiking and lepak-ing, and most importantly, the time I have spent with my family and my love life: BOOKSSS <3

Haih now I'm getting the feeling that you are indeed a year like no other, and for that, I would like to thank you, for the past 365 days you have been with me. You have made me grow, learn more things about myself, discover what it takes to be present, throw myself out of my comfort zone, struggle to become someone with more patience and gratitude, shuffling and re-shuffling priorities as the world itself struggle to make up its mind, live life more wildly and freely, take the much needed pauses and breaks, and of course, be more kind to myself (as I write the last part I can still vividly remember the day I cry when Raee specifically pointed this one out - I have been too hard on myself these past years without even knowing it eh? :"))

Will I ever meet another year like you? Well, who knows. But I know that if you're a good friend, you would wish that I make the upcoming years better and better, and in spite of your departure, you'd be proud you were part of that beautiful journey. As I look forward to what's ahead of me, I want you to know that you have been a huge part of who I am today and what will become of me in the future. I will treasure every wonderful moment I have been blessed with and learn from every single mistake I didn't mean to commit. 

You have been crazy and amazing, and I am truly really grateful to God that you, 2021, had ever happened to me.


Yours truly - the one who had been blessed to experience '2021' a.k.a. the year of detours,

Me :)


...no matter how many detours and adjustments it made, the caravan moved toward the same compass point. Once obstacles were overcome, it returned to its course, sighting on a star that indicated the location of the oasis. When the people saw that star shining in the morning sky, they knew they were on the right course...

          - Paulo Coelho, 'The Alchemist'  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkeologi?: Satu Perjalanan

Kira-kira lapan bulan yang lepas aku ada tulis satu ' post ' tentang subjek arkeologi, atau secara spesifiknya, aku cuba nak kongsi sikit (berdasarkan pengalaman yang tak berapa nak ada ni) apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Tanpa aku sangka, susulan post aku yang tak seberapa tu, aku mula dapat beberapa soalan dekat ruangan 'comments' dekat post tu pasal bidang yang aku tengah belajar ni. Mungkin selepas aku dah terangkan serba sedikit apa yang ada dalam bidang arkeologi ni, ada segelintir pembaca blog aku ni yang berminat nak menjadi ahli arkeologi. Alhamdulillah, rasa bangga pun ada, rasa terharu pun ada... TAPI Saudara sekalian, aku bukanlah orang yang sudah pun bekerja dalam bidang ni, apatah lagi orang yang berpengalaman dalam bidang arkeologi ni. Maka coretan kali ni ialah coretan secara rendah dirinya sebagai seorang hamba yang baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang ni selama 15 bulan... (bukan 15 tahun ya!) Kepada sesiapa yang dah pun ba

Arkeologi?

“Archaeology is about everything.” – Mark Roberts, 11.06.2018 Memandangkan tak ramai orang buat course ni (setahu aku), mungkin orang tertanya-tanya apa yang ada dalam archaeology degree ni sebenarnya.  Bila lecturer aku cakap ‘everything’, memang dia maksudkan  everything .  Maaf kalau agak bias sebab besar kemungkinan aku akan kongsi daripada perspektif seorang pelajar UCL, instead of pelajar arkeologi secara amnya huehue Arkeologi ni, nak dipendekkan cerita, nak kaji cara hidup orang zaman dulu. Tapi, cara nak mengkaji tu sangatlah luas, therefore this subject is very, very interdisciplinary.   Hmm jadi, arkeologi ni, pasal apa sebenarnya?  1.        It is about history , politics , and economics Kalau nak faham orang, kita kena cuba letak diri kita kat tempat orang tu kan? Macam itulah arkeologi. Kalau nak tahu macam mana dan kenapa certain things happened in the past , kita kena tahu sejarah orang zaman dahulu, terutama sekali sebab k

"All is Well!"

"Orang kata, big challenges are for people with big heart " This post is going to be filled with loads of quotes, and the one I just begin my post with is one of the first quotes that comes to my mind when I feel like ' everyday is a tough day at this point '. And recently it has been a quote I am reminded of the most. This academic term has been the toughest time I have ever had in my university years so far. Moments of freaking out, worrying and stressing out while trying to sort things out were COUNTLESS. But anyway, that's life (okay while writing this phrase I literally sing the Frank Sinatra song 😂 so for the fun of it, let's just put that bit here hahaha). That's life (that's life) I tell ya, I can't deny it I thought of quitting, baby But my heart just ain't gonna buy it And if I didn't think it was worth one single try I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly *SIDETRACKED* (I am sorry for an early

Letting God

No incident in life is an accident. When my best friend first gave me the book 'The Art of Letting God' by Ustaz Mizi Wahid, I somehow had the gut that it will become something I really need in the not so distant future. Only a week after that I came to realise why Allah sent me the gift through her. Being a scholar of this one particular organisation (if you know, you know) for more than three years now, I have always been convinced (by my own self if not other people) that we will be guaranteed with a job by the time we graduate from universities. Not to say that I've been working less harder than I'm supposed to all this while, but I cannot deny that part of me has always been having this assurance that the beginning of my career is kinda sorted out by the time I got my degree scroll in a few years time. But...the reality turns out to be taking a whole different path; life seems to be harsher than what we initially thought. Little did I realise I was a bit dis

Oh My English!

"Are you born in Britain?" my Romanian teacher once asked me. "Is English your first language?" asked my British friend, Alex, a friend I made from my summer school. "Did you go to any English tuition class?" asked Ong, my internship colleague. Disclaimer:  do not put a high expectation on me! I can assure you that my English is not that good... well, the fact that I had to repeat my IELTS last time is one of the proofs hehe But I just feel like looking back at how I get to speak in English, (though not really fluently, just enough to be able to have a conversation with other people) given the fact that I am such a kampung girl and English is undoubtedly something very, very foreign to me. My family speak full Malay at home. My dad speaks Perak dialect in his hometown, while my mum speaks Javanese with her family. So maybe for the sake of simplicity, all of us have been using standard Malay as our first language despite living in Terenggan